Are Orbeez Toxic to dogs?

As a pet parent, the query “Are orbeez toxic to dogs?” should be cause of curiosity. You want to play with your dog, but you are wondering if letting your dog play with those colorful beads is safe.

Well, it is natural for us to want to create memorable moments with your four-legged friends to help us reduce stress, but when it comes to their safety, it’s crucial to be well-informed so as not to harm our friends. 

However, it’s normal for us to want to look for ways to bond with our four-legged companions,  as a means of relieving stress, it’s important to know what to do so we don’t hurt them. So are Orbeez toxic to dogs? Let’s find out!

 

What is Orbeez?

Before discussing whether Orbeez is toxic or not, it is necessary to understand what Orbeez is. Orbeez are tiny, colorful water-absorbing beads created from a non-toxic, water-absorbent “polymer.”

The polymer is what makes the beads look squishy and delightful to touch, which is why children and pets adore them and enjoy playing with them. Orbeez are typically small at first, but when soaked in water, they can grow up to 100 times their original size. But are they Toxic?

 

Read alsoAre Coffee Plants Toxic to Cats?

 

Picture of Orbeez

In case you don’t know what orbeez looks like, here’s a picture of orbeez:

Are Orbeez Toxic To Dogs?

Are Orbeez Toxic To Dogs?

Are Orbeez Toxic To Dogs?

 

Are Orbeez Toxic to Dogs?

Well, the answer is yes and no, Orbeez itself is not toxic for dogs to play with because it is made of water and cellulose (cellulose are tiny building blocks that plants use to make their bodies strong and sturdy), both of which are completely safe for dogs to play with and will not harm them if they chew it open.

If a dog consumes orbeez, he or she may get an intestinal blockage. This is due to the fact that when orbeez absorbs water, it can grow to 100x its original size, which can cause problems if it becomes caught in a dog’s intestines. So can dogs eat orbeez?

 

Read also: Keeping Your Dog Safe from Pest Threats

 

Can Dogs Eat Orbeez?

The main concern when it comes to dogs eating Orbeez is the risk of intestinal blockage. When a dog ingests Orbeez, especially in larger quantities, the beads can swell up in the stomach and intestines, potentially causing a blockage.

This blockage can lead to serious health problems and may require immediate veterinary attention.  The size of your dog will determine the impact the Orbeez will have on your dog, so if your dog is small, you might want to keep Orbeez away from him/her because it is most likely to cause more harm to a smaller dog.

 

Read also: What Really Makes the Snake Plant Toxic To Cat?

 

 How do I know if a dog has eaten Orbeez?

If your dog has eaten Orbeez, you might notice:

  1. Gastrointestinal symptoms, like vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain in your dog, indicate that his/her digestive system has been blocked by Orbeez, which must have enlarged in the stomach because it came in contact with water.   
  2.  You may notice a loss of appetite and changes like restlessness or discomfort in his/her behavior.
  3. In very rare situations,  your dog might experience respiratory Distress. This happens when your dog actually aspirates Orbeez,  meaning the beads enter their airway or lungs. If this happens you will notice symptoms like coughing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing, seek immediate veterinary attention immediately if you notice this. 

 

What to do if your dog eats Orbeez?

If you notice that your dog has eaten Orbeez, the first thing you should do is:

 

  1. Be calm

 Try not to panic, panicking will worsen the situation,  so calm down and assess the situation, then try to determine the quantity of Orbeez your dog may have consumed. If your dog consumed a large quantity you might have to contact a Vet immediately for immediate professional assessment. 

 

2. Monitor your dog  for Symptoms

Keep a close eye on your dog for any intestinal symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite. If these symptoms persist or worsen, it is essential to contact your veterinarian for further guidance.

 

3. Try to make your dog drink water

Give your dog enough fresh water to drink. Water can help soften the Orbeez and facilitate their passage through the digestive system. However, do not force your dog to drink excessively, to avoid further complications.

 

4. Do Not Induce Vomiting

Unlike certain toxic substances, inducing vomiting in cases of Orbeez ingestion is not recommended. The beads can expand in the stomach, making vomiting potentially dangerous. So you might have to consult with a veterinarian before trying to make your dog vomit.

 

 5. Contact Your Veterinarian

Contact your veterinarian if you are unsure about the potential risks associated with your dog’s ingestion of Orbeez, Vets will be able to sort out the potential risk of orbeez and help out with ugly situations.

 

Conclusion

Although Orbeez can be fun to play with, it is important to be careful with playing with it around dogs because of choking dangers and the possibility of intestinal blockage.

Always keep in mind that a dog who is content and healthy is a friend for life. Try other safer alternative toys for your dog if you are worried about the potential risks related to Orbeez. Orbeez is maybe not toxic but can become Deadly.

About The Author

Leave a feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Discover more from Pestclue

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading