Ideal Things To Do If Dog Chewed Battery

Has your beloved dog chewed battery? It is an all-too-common problem faced by pet owners. Unfortunately, batteries can be hazardous for dogs if ingested or chewed on.

In this article, we’ll discuss the risks associated with canine battery consumption, the signs to look out for, and how to quickly address the situation if it does occur.

Keep reading to learn more about what to do if your dog chewed a battery.

 

What is Battery Poisoning?

Battery poisoning is a serious health concern for both humans and pets and can occur when someone or a pet ingests a battery.

This is especially true for small button batteries, or batteries used in remote-controlled devices, which can easily be chewed on or swallowed by curious pets.

If your pet has chewed on a battery, it is important to take them to the veterinarian right away, as battery poisoning can cause serious health issues for a pet, including symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, and even internal bleeding. If left untreated, battery poisoning can be fatal.

The best way to prevent battery poisoning is to keep batteries out of reach of pets and to dispose of used batteries properly.

Store batteries in a secure place, such as a locked cupboard or drawer, and always double-check that any devices that contain batteries are switched off and the batteries are removed before disposing of them.

If you suspect that your pet has swallowed or chewed on a battery, seek veterinary help immediately. With proper care and attention, battery poisoning can be prevented and your pet can stay safe and healthy.

 

Read also: Facts About the Dog FHO Surgery

 

What are the Causes of Battery Poisoning In Dogs?

When it comes to canine safety, pet owners need to be aware that batteries can be a very dangerous item for dogs.

Batteries contain corrosive chemicals such as mercury, zinc, and lithium, which can be toxic to dogs if ingested. They often contain a salty electrolyte solution which can cause gastrointestinal distress.

Additionally, the taste of the battery can be attractive to dogs, and they may attempt to chew on it, leading to the battery breaking open and releasing toxic chemicals.

Batteries may also be mistaken for treats or toys, leading to accidental ingestion. If a dog chewed battery, the corrosive chemicals can cause severe damage to the internal organs, including the stomach, intestines, oesophagus, and other parts of the body.

As a result, the dog can experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, bloody stools, loss of appetite, and fatigue.

In severe cases, battery poisoning can be fatal, so it is important to seek veterinary care immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested a battery.

Being aware of the risks associated with batteries and taking the necessary steps to keep your dog safe is essential for pet owners.

It is important to keep batteries out of reach, as well as to inspect any toys or objects that may contain batteries to ensure they are securely fastened.

Additionally, if your dog attempts to chew on anything, it is best to take it away from them immediately and provide them with a safe and appropriate chew toy.

With the right precautions, you can ensure your furry friend stays safe from the dangers of battery poisoning.

 

What are the Symptoms that My Dog Chewed Battery?

Dog Chewed Battery
Drooling is One of the Signs that a Dog Chewed Battery

Dogs are curious creatures, but that curiosity can sometimes be dangerous. Chewing on batteries is a common behaviour in dogs that can have serious health consequences.

If your dog chewed battery, it can be very dangerous and can lead to a number of different symptoms. The most common symptoms of a dog that has chewed on a battery include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Drooling
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weakness
  • Coughing
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Change in behaviour
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Even paralysis

It is important to take your dog to the vet as soon as possible if you suspect they have chewed a battery, as these symptoms can indicate a serious health emergency that requires immediate medical attention.

In addition to the physical symptoms, your dog may also be at risk of battery acid poisoning. Battery acid can irritate the stomach and cause severe burning and irritation of the stomach lining.

If left untreated, battery acid poisoning can cause serious damage to the digestive system and other organs. It is important to take any signs of battery ingestion seriously.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested a battery, take your pet to the vet right away. Veterinary care is the only way to determine if the battery has caused any damage and to treat the symptoms.

Keeping batteries away from your dog is the best way to prevent battery ingestion. Make sure that your dog doesn’t have access to any batteries, and if you see them chewing on one, immediately remove it and take them to the vet.

 

Read also: A Proper Diagnosis of Dog Epidermal Collarette

 

What Diagnosis Should Be Carried Out After Dog Chewed Battery?

Battery poisoning in dogs is a serious medical emergency that can have devastating consequences if left untreated.

Symptoms of battery poisoning in dogs may include vomiting, diarrhoea, anorexia, anaemia, lethargy, seizures, and difficulty breathing.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested a battery, it is important to take him to the veterinarian immediately.

Diagnosis of battery poisoning in dogs is based on a thorough history and physical examination, as well as laboratory tests such as blood work, urinalysis, and X-rays.

  • An abdominal X-ray may reveal pieces of the battery in the stomach or intestines, but it may not always be possible to detect the presence of the battery.
  • If the battery is suspected to be in the stomach, an endoscopic procedure may be performed to remove the battery.
  • A complete blood count and biochemical profile will be performed to evaluate for anaemia, electrolyte disturbances, and other abnormalities.
  • Urinalysis is also performed to evaluate for kidney damage from the battery acid.

It is important to prevent battery poisoning in dogs by keeping all batteries securely stored away from curious canines.

If your dog does chew on a battery, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. With prompt diagnosis and treatment, most dogs will make a full recovery from battery poisoning.

 

What Treatment Should Be Carried Out After Dog Chewed Battery?

If your dog has chewed on a battery, it is important to take immediate action. Call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 for instructions on how to handle the situation.

  • If possible, bring the battery with you when you visit the vet.
  • Do not induce vomiting in your dog unless instructed to do so by a veterinarian.
  • Clean the area of the mouth that came in contact with the battery with a damp cloth.
  • Monitor your dog for signs of battery poisoning, such as excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhoea, and lethargy.
  • If your dog has ingested battery acid, your vet may provide activated charcoal to help absorb the toxins.
  • Your vet may also recommend blood tests and an electrolyte panel to check for chemical imbalances.

If your dog has severe signs of battery poisoning, your vet may recommend hospitalization for supportive care. In any case, be sure to follow your vet’s instructions for the best care of your dog.

Read also: What is a Dog Endoscopy?

 

Conclusion

If your dog has chewed a battery, it is important to seek professional advice from a veterinary professional immediately.

Your vet will be able to give an initial assessment to determine the severity of the poisoning and may recommend blood tests or X-rays to investigate the extent of the toxicity.

Depending on the size and type of battery that was chewed, your vet may provide medication or fluid therapy to help your dog recover or suggest surgery to remove the battery if it has been swallowed.

It is important to keep a close eye on your dog for any signs of discomfort or ill health that may arise after the incident. Your vet may also recommend monitoring your pet for any long-term effects of the poisoning.

If more advice and support are needed, your vet will be able to provide it. By taking the right steps and consulting with a veterinary professional, you can help your dog make a full recovery. THANKS FOR READING!

About The Author

Leave a feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Discover more from Pestclue

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading