A dog and a cat are common house pets, these animals do bite as a result of
Research shows that the percentage of a dog bite is higher than cat bite, about 5 million dog bite occurs in a year. While a cat bite is a minor, but in this case, we are considering which is more deadly.
Dog Bite vs Cat Bite; why do they bite?
Both animals are pets, but their bites are a significant public health hazard. Annually about 4.5 million people are bitten by these pets especially the dog, and about 200,000 of these people require intensive medical attention to survive the disease imposed by these bites.
As a result, if you get closer to them even with the mindset of not causing any harm, the possibilities of getting bitten is high. However, the bacteria in the mouth of a cat tend to higher than that of a dog, study shows.
Both dogs and cats bite for the same reason, they can bite as a result of unfamiliarity or imposing a threat to them. However, dogs, in particular, don’t like disturbance when eating or breastfeeding their young ones.
It’s known that cats have sharp piercing fangs perfectly structured to inject of micro-organism directly into the tissue of their victim, but in the case of a dog, they have sharp and huge teeth that tear the tissue inflicting pain on the victim.
In a situation where you approach these pets and you observe any unusual behavior, we advise you to remain calm and stay off them.
Dog Bite vs Cat Bite: Which is More Deadly?
In our recent research, we discovered that cats are more of a beast than dogs, cats bite causes more damage and injuries than dogs bite do.
No doubt, dog bites may look worse due to their huge teeth, but the narrow, sharp fangs of a cat are likely to deeply pass through into the tissues.
Cat bites are prone to inject bacteria deep into the wound, causing severe infection and damage to tendons and ligaments.
However, cats can be highly aggressive and dangerous when they’re threatened. They’re well-known to use teeth and claws for fighting, hunting and supporting themselves. In the case of a dog, they’re known for bites which could be severe.
While your cat may turn up its nose at the fanciest commercial cat food it nonetheless may take great delight in stalking, pouncing on and devouring small animals that enter its domain.
If there are no pet toys or small animals, your cat may decide to stalk you, kids or any family members that are always available.
In a situation, you have children in a house with a cat, we don’t advise you encourage them rough play with a cat to avoid scratch or bite. Cats could be aggressive at times.
Further, infants should never be allowed alone in a house with a cat. Any cat, not minding the level of tranquility, cats can respond very aggressively when their instincts are threatened. In this case, helpless infants can be seriously harmed or injured.
Furthermore, dogs bite too is known to be deadly because of the deadly disease it carries, but dogs very domestic compared to a cat, dogs attack mostly in the case of unfamiliarity.
Concluding, cat bite poses a more deadly threat than dog bites because the virus from their bite attacks the blood tissues directly.
How to Treat Dog or Cat Bites
In a dog or cat bite case, you need to assure the victim that he/she will be fine. In the absence of a medical expert, they are remedies you could give to the victim to reduce the effect of the bite before going to the hospital.
As we known dog or cat bites may be deep or shallow, you to identify the kind of bite to be sure of which remedy to apply for better effect. These remedies are:
Remedies for deeper bites:
- If the wound is dry, cover it with a sterile dressing.
- Avoid the use of tape or butterfly bandages in covering the injury. Covering it won’t allow harmful bacteria to escape.
- In a case of bleeding, stop bleeding by applying pressure to it with a clean bandage or towel.
- Don’t scrub the wound as this may bruise the tissue rather wash it with soap and water under pressure 7 minutes.
- Call your medical expert, they are in good terms to assist with antibiotics, a tetanus booster, rabies vaccine and give treatment when necessary.
- It is very important to contact an expert for bites on the face or for bites that cause deeper wounds of the skin.
- Contact any pet control office near you, to assist you to find the animal that caused the wound.
- Avoid trapping the animal alone. Rather, call the nearest animal warden near you.
Remedies for shallow bites:
- Observe closely for signs of infection.
- Fever like, increased redness or pain, swelling, or fluid leaking, or red streaks from the bite is likely to occur. Contact your expert for medical attention.
- Wash the wound with soap and water under pressure 7 minutes.
- Avoid scrubbing the wound as it may bruise the tissue.
- Apply an antiseptic lotion or cream on the bite area.
- Call your medical expert immediately to prevent the bite from getting worse.
How to Prevent Dog and Cat Bites
Pet research has shown that the rate at which dogs and cats bites send pet owners to the medical centers is increasing. Most pets that bite are known to the victim.
This research also demonstrates the benefit of training and counseling children and families about preventing pet bites.
Pets should be trained to be socialized with family members. Training makes your pet make them more confine and it reduces the rate of a bite occurring as a result of fear.
Pets that are not properly nurtured or sick are liable to bite. Infant or strangers visiting should never be left alone with pets.
More on Prevention:
You need to note this;
- Avoid and never try to handle, pet or feed unknown animals.
- Don’t alone your kids close to animals.
- Watch your kids closely when animals are near.
- Regularly vaccinate pets (cats, and dogs) against rabies.
We hope this review will help you identify between a dog bite and a cat bite which is more deadly and also the prevention of these bites. We hope to hear from you soon.