Imidacloprid insecticide is a systemic pesticide that can protect your home and garden from pests that can harm plants or animals. But, do you know what is Imidacloprid insecticide?
Imidacloprid insecticide is a neonicotinoid made to control pests like ants, bugs, flies, and many more. So, this article will teach you about ingredients, and show you how to use products made with Imidacloprid.
What is Imidacloprid Insecticide?
Imidacloprid, first registered for use in 1994 is a neonicotinoid insecticide used to control many insect pests in households, commercial properties, and agriculture.
Neonicotinoids are relatively new in the pesticide industry with the name, meaning new nicotine-like insecticides.
Forms of Imidacloprid Insecticide
Imidacloprid insecticide can be found in different formulations like:
- Dust, and
Read also: How to Use Permethrin Insecticides
How Does Imidacloprid Insecticide Work?
This insecticide is a neonicotinoid so its mode of action is by contact or by ingestion. This ingredient was made to mimic the effects of nicotine, which is normally found in tobacco products.
It is made with a medic low print work to interfere with the pest’s central nervous system inflicting paralysis. This creates an inability to function or eat eventually leading to the pest’s death depending on the formulation.
It can take minutes to several hours for exposed pests to die.
Read also: What is Cypermethrin Insecticide?
Where to Apply Imidacloprid Insecticide?
Imidacloprid products can be applied to protect plants from sucking pests like aphids. These products have excellent water solubility enabling them to be applied to the soil and absorbed by plant roots.
The product travels through the plant to the leaves where it’s ingested by pests that feed on the plants. Imidacloprid insecticides are safe to use when applied according to their product label directions.
Read also: How to Get Rid of Mold Mites
Is Imidacloprid Insecticide Dangerous to Humans, Plants, and Animals?
This chemical blocks certain neuronal pathways that are much more prevalent in insects than in mammals. Meaning insects are more vulnerable to the effects of Imidacloprid than humans and animals would be.
Imidacloprid insecticide may still cause harm if ingested though Imidacloprid products are safe when used properly.
Always ensure you wear the proper personal protective equipment or PPE when applying any insecticides and keep them out of reach of any children or pets.
Wear as much coverage as you need to avoid direct skin contact and a respirator or a facial covering to avoid inhalation.
Read also: How to Use Permethrin Insecticides
How to Use Imidacloprid Product
If you’re looking for a versatile insecticide that can kill many different insects, then we recommend you use a product like Dominion 2L.
What is Dominion 2L?
Dominion 2L is a suspended concentrate made with 21.4% Imidacloprid.
What is Used Dominion 2L For?
Dominion 2L can be used as a systemic treatment to kill sucking pests, turf pests, or wood infesting insects.
How to Use Dominion 2L For Pest Treatment
- This product is a suspended concentrate. So, it must be mixed with water before application, for most residential applications, we recommend you mix and apply this product with a handheld sprayer.
- To treat termites: You’ll apply this product as a drench application to control most sucking and leaf-eating pests on shrubs and foliage.
- This product’s mix rate is 1.5 fluid ounces per 100 gallons of water.
- Spray the solution over the foliage in ornamental plants and make sure to spray underneath the leaves as well to control turf pests.
- The application rate is 0.46 to 20.6 fluid ounces per 1000 square feet.
- We recommend you mix this product into one gallon of water broadcast throughout your entire lawn to kill active pests and prevent re-infestation.
- To control termites: Create a trench around your home’s foundation that is 6 inches wide and 6 inches deep.
- Create a solution at the labeled mix rate of 2.4. fluid ounces of products, add 4 gallons of water.
- Pour the solution into the trench at a rate of four gallons per 10 linear feet, pests that ingest or make contact with the chemical or its residual will have their nervous systems impacted and will die within 24 hours.
Dominion 2L will leave a residue that will continue to control pests for up to three months. If you’re dealing with ants or cockroaches, then you can use bait gel products like Ant-Trax Ant Bait or Apex cockroach bait.
This product has ingredients made with imidacloprid and Apex is made with 2.15% imidacloprid because gels contain attractants that make them appealing to their respective pests.
It will kill entire nests or colonies to use Ant-Trax. Apply a few drops per square yard around areas where you’ve seen ant activity.
To use Apex, apply three drops per square yard to control small cockroaches or 5 drops per square yard to kill large cockroaches.
Pests will consume the bait and share it among the rest of their colonies, killing their populations. Imidacloprid is a versatile ingredient used in many pesticides to control different pests.
With these professional products, and tips you can stop pests from infesting your property.