Why are bed bugs more common in fall? Bed bug infestations typically pop up during fall and winter, but that’s not primarily because of the cooling weather.
This blog post will go over why bedbugs are so common during the fall and how you can protect and treat your home from potential or ongoing infestations.
Why are Bed Bugs More Common in Fall?
The reason why bed bugs are more common during fall is that when people are traveling, most bed bugs are small insects that are capable of hiding and discrete locations, complimenting their flat and flexible bodies.
During an infestation, they will hide in bed frames, mattresses, picture frames, electrical outlets, in and underneath furniture, tight and hard-to-reach crevices.
Oftentimes bed bugs will also cling to fibers and clothing, shoe laces, and even suitcases. Travelers can unknowingly pick up bed bugs after visiting infested locations and spread the bugs elsewhere.
The most common places bed bugs are picked up are actually, in hotels and motels. Since travelers are constantly going in and out of them, it doesn’t matter if it’s a one-star or five-star location.
Bed bugs will hitch rides with anyone to go anywhere the strait of an infestation, this shouldn’t stop you from traveling.
Tips to Prevent Bed Bugs During Fall
With these tips, you can stop the spread of bed bugs or treat any active infestations whether you’re staying at a hotel or at a relative’s home.
Below are tips to prevent bed bugs during fall.
- Keep your personal belongings in your vehicle before you check out your room. This keeps your luggage bags and other items safe, and away from any potential bed bugs while you conduct a thorough inspection.
- If you had to bring your things inside store them in the bathtub since bed bugs won’t be able to climb its smooth surface.
- This may sound obvious but when you have guests, clean up your home during and after their stays.
- Depending on how long they’re staying, try to clean at least once a week, and be sure to clean all the areas where bed bugs could hide in, that’s the bed frames, the mattress tufts, furniture, and other tight spaces. This also gives you a chance to do any further inspections.
- Be sure to dispose of the contents in an outdoor trash bin to stop any eggs that may have been sucked up from hatching and spreading after your guests have left your home.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs During Fall With Chemicals
If you’ll want to treat bed bugs during fall with chemicals. Flex 1010 and Martin’s IGR concentrate, these products together will kill and control bed bugs in all stages of their life cycles in multiple environments.
They also have lasting residual effects so you could spray ahead of time to control an infestation before it gets out of hand.
How to Use Flex 1010 and Martin’s IGR
- The application rate, for a severe bed bug infestation, is to make 6.4 fluid ounces of Flex 1010 into 1 gallon of water, do this with a handheld pump sprayer.
- Spray the mattress tufts, edges, seams, and folds then mix 1 fluid ounce of Martin’s IGR into your solution.
- To treat 1,500 square feet. Once combined, spray the bed frame, box spring, furniture, closet, flooring, and baseboards.
Using Pyrid Aerosol
Since bed bugs can hide away and out of sight cracks and crevices. We recommend you use of flushing agent like Pyrid aerosol to check tight spaces for bed bugs activity.
Pyrid aerosol is a botanical insecticide with no residual activity, it will kill bed bugs on contact. Just place the red straw and actuator in place stiffy end of the straw into the crack and crevices to be treated and spray along.
Using Defense Dust
When treating behind the electrical outlet, Defense dust will kill and control insects that attempt to cross its dry barrier.
It’s also resistant to moisture making applications near water heaters ideal. You’ll need a handheld duster in order to apply this product. Just fill the duster halfway and apply 2 to 3 puffs to thoroughly coat the application area.
Do you now know why are bed bugs more common in fall? Not just fall, bed bug infestations tend to pop up during the fall and winter.
When traveling for the holidays during fall, just ramp up with these professional tips and products. We guarantee you can stop bed bugs from infesting your property.