Knowing how to get rid of flies in fast and effective ways won’t take much of your time. Flies are not only upsetting, but they’re also significant carriers of the disease.
They are known to transfer more than 100 pathogens that can result in illness, including cholera, typhoid, tuberculosis, and dysentery.
They collect those pathogens on their legs and mouths when feeding on trash, feces, and other decaying material.
Plus, some types of flies, such as sciarid flies, can destroy both your garden plants and your household plants.
They progressively breed by laying eggs on the top of the compost, and tiny larvae feast on damp organic matter and algae within the compost mix. They also destroy the small roots of the newly germinated seedling.
5 Effective Ways on How to Get Rid of Flies
No one should have to live with these buzzy critters in their house or garden – as a result of that, I am glad to present you with five useful tricks to get rid of flies who are already inside and how to keep them away from both your home and garden.
Milk Sugar Pepper Traps
Milk Sugar Pepper Traps have been found to work excellently with all flies, but it’s especially useful for combating fruit flies.
- You will first take a saucepan and heat up one cup of milk, three teaspoons of sugar, and one tablespoon of pepper.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for five to 10 minutes and then pour the mixture into a shallow bowl.
- Now, place the containers around the infested areas. The flies will immediately be attracted to this mixture and drown right after landing in the dishes.
- After a day or two, be sure to clean everything out and dispose of all the dead flies.
Flies hate the smell of vodka, which is one of the reasons why this alcohol-based recipe is a great natural product to assist in getting rid of them.
- In a glass spray bottle, mix one cup of vodka with two teaspoons of aloe vera juice and a teaspoon of organic lemon eucalyptus oil.
- Then spray the solution in all the areas that you know are infested with flies. It’s good to also apply it to areas that might not have flies yet to discourage them from going there after leaving the spot they’re already in.
This blend is also safe to add to your skin if you find that they tend to latch on to you, or if you’re suffering from allergy problems caused by flies.
Apple Cider Vinegar Trap
Whether the fly problem you’re dealing with is indoors or outdoors, this natural to make flytrap is one of the most effective methods out there.
- Merely get a bowl and fill it three-quarters of the way with apple cider vinegar and add in a drop of dish soap.
- The dish soap allows the liquid in the pot to have a more rigid surface that ultimately causes the flies to fall into the vinegar without them being able to predict what’s happening.
Just be specific to get rid of all other temptations for the flies on the table or counter that the trap will be placed on so that there isn’t any distraction away from the bowl.
Pennies in Water
This old Latin American trick ensures that flies will stay away, even if it doesn’t seem like pennies would be an instinctive repellent.
- Merely place glasses of water around the food that you feel is in danger of being attacked by the flies, and throw in about four or five pennies in each one.
You’ll likely be shocked to find that the flies will come nowhere near your meal as long as the glasses are there, as they hate being around the copper that’s in pennies – while it’s not known precisely why, some believe the insects think that the pennies are the “eyes” of a much bigger, more dominant bug looking at them.
Lemongrass Oil Repellent
Flies hate the smell of lemongrass, which means that it is yet another fantastic natural resource for eliminating flies from your home and garden.
- To get the most out of this technique, heat up about a half cup of water and add in about 20 to 25 drops of pure lemongrass oil.
- Put it all in a spray jar and spray all of your doors, windows, and infested surfaces.
Here’s a video on How to Get Rid of Flies Quickly Inside and Outside
Natural Repellant to Keep Flies Away
This technique is a simple and effective technique used to repel flies from your surroundings, it is environmentally friendly so you don’t need to worry.
- Fill a glass jar with apple cider vinegar and place a paper funnel in the jar. The scent will attract flies and the paper funnel will prevent them from flying out.
- Place 20-25 cloves in lemon halves.
- Put several drops of Eucalyptus oil on ribbon or cloth strips and hang them near doors or windows.
Here’s a Video on How to Prevent flies from Returning to your Home
Following this guide, we believe the cases of flies will be solved in your surrounding, but in a situation where this is done, flies still exist and don’t take any more chances.
Contact any pest control expert near you to eliminate this nuisance properly. Also, feel free to drop a review via our comment box.